Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hypnobabies

I just wanted to rejoice for a bit about finding Hypnobabies.

I recently watched Ricki Lake's film "The Business of Being Born". I heard it was controversial, although I don't know why. It pretty much validated the things I learned while navigating the murky waters of obstetrics. Really, I thought they went out of their way to be fair, making sure to insert comments like "Thank God we have the OB surgeons to perform C-sections, when we need them". You'll almost never hear OB's refer to midwives like that.

Anyway, I didn't have a difficult pregnancy, but I definitely had some bumps. You know, rib pain, heartburn, fainting, a few random vomits, round ligament pain, fatigue, sleepless nights, restless leg syndrome. You tell me how I am supposed to practice relaxation while I compulsively shake my hands and legs violently back and forth. Argh, maddening.

Actually, I really enjoyed reading the stories posted here. It would always get me up to read a personal story of someone's positive labor.

Hypnobabies really came in handy during labor. I've mentioned before, I'm not the most pain hardened of women. But I was able to labor at home (as I wanted) until I was 8 cm, eating toast and moaning in the dark, but relaxing my jaw and facial muscles with every contraction. Perfect! By the time I got to the hospital, with my doula and wonderful hubby, I still had the energy to get in and out of the tub, and get in position to deliver. May I add without being too graphic, it was NOT the g*&%amn lithotomy position.

So to all you pregnant ladies out there, get you some Hypnobabies love. It will help.

No comments: