Friday, March 21, 2008

Lawn services destroy my wa

It's that season again.... daffodils, redbuds and creeping phlox are blooming and so are the dandelions and the lovely henbit.... it must be time for the chemical lawn jihad to begin.

All around our neighborhood, lawns turn a strange light turquoisey color overnight. Leafblowers, gas mowers and trimmers are fired up. Bermuda is scalped. Nasty smells and sounds abound.

Can you tell how much I hate lawn services?

Full disclosure: I have a front lawn. In the back, I threw dwarf clover seeds everywhere, and they are beginning to hold their own against the other biodiversities back there, which we treat as a "lawn". But in the front, we have a few peach trees, perennials, roses, and a boring.... yawn... lawn. We have been using WOW, which is supposed to be a nice environmentally friendly organic pre-emergent, until we get around to radically transforming the lawn into a food producing haven. Anyone else use WOW? I'm not sure it's working.

With my usual optimism, I hope that this year, lawn services will begin to be unaffordable. After all, they are the epitome of the fossil fuel age. Every darn part of them requires huge chemical inputs. I mean, they even have yummy names like Chemlawn. And I have a BABY in the house this year! If my ancient neighbor from across the street comes over again and "helpfully" gives us the information for his lawn service again this year, I may put a hex on him. That is, if I knew any hexes.

Actually I realize I am being a little selfish. Some of my neighbors are too elderly to be able to look after their lawns themselves. So they can't use a nice quiet reel mower or electric mower like we have. Still. Do they have to spray toxicities everywhere?

1 comment:

Heidi said...

After the brutally sucky work of clearing off the sod and related crabgrass rootlets, etc., you might try sweet melissa or holy basil or alyssum. Will red clover grow here? That'd be a useful groundcover for medicinals, too.