Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Herb garden

When we moved into our first house in Denver, I was lucky enough to inherit a lovely herb garden. At first I didn't know what the heck was growing. In fact, I never did discover the names of everything that was there. But soon enough, I began to recognize the foliage and the smell of the various herbs - esecially sage and thyme. I was actually surprised at how well they did, considering they received **NO** care, only 1/2 day of sunshine, and of course, the drought/snowstorm weather in Denver.

So, I'm dedicating an herb garden here in OKC. I love herbs, because:
  1. They are easy to grow and don't require much watering
  2. Many are perennial
  3. Many are evergreen
  4. They often smell good
  5. They are really worth the investment. (Sometimes it seems hard to justify the investment in potatoes - but parsley will pay you back 25x before it dies).
I already have these planted: Basil, parsley, sage, cilantro, lemon balm, sorrel, chocolate mint.

I just killed last weekend: peppermint. I swear, I planted it in a pot - but it escaped.

I want to plant in my "herb garden" right by the back door: rosemary, thyme, chives, lovage, salad burnet, and oregano.

I want to plant herbs elsewhere: dill, stevia (potted), comfrey, echinacea, feverfew, lavendar.

I don't have any experience in using herbs for medicinal purposes, but it might be handy to have them planted already in case TSHTF. Hopefully I could learn then, when I have a lot of time on my hands :). Most of my herbs I use for culinary purposes, which of course is a type of medicine. You are what you eat, right? But, many of the herbs I have chosen have two, three, or four purposes. Multi-purpose plants are one of the main dictums of permaculture, and you can't get much more multi-purpose than herbs.

For example: Rosemary (I need to get a Zone 7 version)
Medicinal - Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
Culinary - Used in many different dishes, twigs are great on the BBQ
Landscape - Evergreen, has small blue or purple flowers
Aromatherapy - Headache remedy

No comments: