Friday, April 4, 2008

Low Energy Health

In the future, there will be no insanely expensive "health care" - ie the pharmaceutical insurance hospital complex - to fix us after we have worn our bodies down. Instead, we would be wise to adopt the Eastern medicine wisdom of focusing on staying healthy, rather than treating sickness.

What are some strategies for staying healthy?

1. Food
  • Organic, if possible
  • Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans
  • Free range and grass fed eggs, dairy and meat (although I am a pescatarian)
  • Fats and sweets in moderation
  • Nothing your great grandmother would not recognize

2. Exercise

  • Get your blood pumping
  • Work your muscles
  • Stretch daily
  • Maintain balance
  • Get out in the fresh air

3. Manage stress

  • Focus on the bright side while acknowledging the darkness
  • Meditation
  • Yoga
  • Connect with nature
  • Take time for yourself
  • Stay out of chronically stressful situations, if possible (*difficult, but most effective)
  • Don't work too long or too hard
  • Choose work that is enjoyable and/or fun
  • Give yourself an artistic outlet (paint, sing, journal, play guitar)

4. Dental care

  • Brush
  • Floss
  • Not too many sweets
  • Regular visits to the dentist (at least while she is still available!)

5. Avoiding toxicities

  • Industrial pollutants
  • Air pollution
  • Water pollution
  • Smoke / secondhand smoke
  • Too much drugs
  • Sunburn
  • Lawn chemicals
  • Household cleaning chemicals

6. Body tune-ups and treatments

  • Herbs and supplements
  • Massage
  • Chiropractic
  • Acupuncture
  • Detoxing (No experience with this one)
  • Energy medicine (No experience with this one - except Shiatsu, which is great)

Staying healthy may require some financial sacrifices. For example, I quit my consulting job to become a massage therapist when I realized that A) I didn't want to spend my whole life making money for the Man and B) My job was making me sick and despondant. If I had spent the last 6 years at my consulting job I would most likely be fat, miserable, with insomnia and an ulcer. I'd also be rich. Sad, but true. Still, I'm much happier now, and I spend a lot less on happy hour :).

My point is that you need to take action BEFORE you get sick. Stress, and the effects of unhealthy living, will build up in your body. Some people have better coping systems than others, but it will catch up with you. At that point, nothing will be worth more in the world than your health. So take the time to take care of yourself day by day, week by week, instead of regretting your choices later in life.

PS. I need to note that I am in no way diagnosing or prescribing any kind of health care. I am not a doctor. Please see your own doctor before starting any new health care program.

No comments: