In other words, a beat up 1993 Geo Prizm.
First, what is wrong with it. Obviously, it's old - so no cruise control, power windows, CD player or iPod plug in. The overhead light went out a loooong time ago. So, no light at night. The radio is on the fritz. Every time I get in the car the radio resets to 98.1 (which is not a channel here). The body is dented - the repairs cost more than the car is "worth" so I never got it repaired (except to pry the body away from the tire with a crowbar). The side mirrors don't really stay when I adjust them. And, none of the tires or rims match anymore.
But oh, what is so RIGHT about my Bessie :)!
- It is paid off.
- It is paid off!
- The tag and insurance are really cheap.
- It gets 30 mpg. Not joking, I check it at least every 6 months.
- Maintenance and repairs are very cheap since no specialized knowledge or parts are required. Also, parts are easy to get. No computer chips needed.
- It still works after 140,000 miles.
- It has not had very many problems for it's age (15 years) - about $200/year of updates.
Well, that's enough for me to keep this car until it dies or repairs start to get expensive.... although I really want a Prius, I'm not sure the investment will be worth it because I have my doubts about the future of cars in general.
Here's to Bessie - thanks for all the years of faithful service.