Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Electricity chicken

Well, our power went out with the storm last night around 3 am. Amazing how pitch black it is without a moon, night lights or street lights! Fortunately we had our handy-dandy electric lanterns when we had to change a diaper at 4 am. Anyway, I got up at the regular time and soon began noticing how little of my regular routine I could accomplish.
  • Couldn't make tea in the microwave or coffee in the coffeemaker
  • Couldn't turn on the dishwasher
  • Couldn't order any peak oil supplies on the internet
  • Couldn't read updates on Energy Bulletin or LATOC
  • Couldn't check the weather on TV
  • Didn't want to take a cold shower ;)
  • Couldn't warm up lasagna in Sun Oven (too cloudy) or microwave

Here's what I did do:

  • Sleep
  • Watch my baby play with his toys
  • MORE mulching
  • Changed diapers
  • Fed baby
  • Became very bored and drove 10 miles to my SIL's house

What a chicken I am! But when the stars align and the electricity goes out, the sun goes away, and I am alone without another adult to talk to, I start using up my carbon credits for the week. My good friend Lewru has advised me to get some low-tech entertainment, and I will heed her advice. Here are my thoughts:

  • Books
  • Cards
  • Books of crossword puzzles and Sudoku
  • Dice
  • Board Games
  • Outdoor games
  • Jigsaw puzzles
  • Yoga routines memorized
  • Perhaps a laptop? (battery powered)
  • Lyrics of favorite songs printed out
  • Musical instruments
  • Car games (20 questions, etc.)

That's all I can think of. Suggestions??

1 comment:

Lewru said...

Booze. Lots and lots of booze.