Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Flu outbreak?

I have read a few articles recently about deadly flu outbreaks, like the one in 1918 that killed 50 - 100 million people. Before that, I had tended to ignore the media on the flu topic, figuring it was just one more overblown scare designed to generate nightly news eyeballs.

Now, it seems like it is just a matter of time. I mean, every year, despite our precautions, people are miserable for weeks at a time, consume massive quantities of tea, Vitamin C, antibiotics, and Kleenex, and lose valuable productivity :). So what would stop a deadly flu outbreak (influenza pandemic) from overwhelming our hospitals and doctors and killing millions?

The Medical Journal of Australia recommends that each household stock a 3 month supply of food and supplies. We in the US might want to heed their recommendation. Here is their 10 week suggested "lifeboat" - although I doubt I will be stocking up on Vegemite.

I would suggest also trying to have a year round garden just to have something fresh and green available. Here in OK we can overwinter lettuce, spinach, carrots, parsley, some unusual greens, and probably some other veggies too. And of course, pickins' are ripe in the spring, summer and fall. Try to have seeds on hand all year round. Just a thought!

4 comments:

Lewru said...

Can we overwinter carrots? I haven't tried, but I thought they were frost vulnerable. I wonder if there are some types that would be better suited? I know that we could easily manage parsnips, though. And maybe fava beans, if properly protected and barring a long ice storm (!).
Interesting!!! Perhaps also important to stock up on medical basics - aspirin, alcohol, bandages, vitamin C, etc.

HausFrau said...

I have overwintered carrots and beets before (from the laziness of not harvesting them). I think a heavy dose of straw might do it. That said, without cover about 40% made it through a mild winter here in OKC.

Just bought a big First Aid kit and Vit. C, which would cover the bandages and basics. Also important would be Kleenex (or plenty of handkerchiefs), Carmex, TEA, and some natural remedies too - maybe echinacea, apple cider vinegar, astragalus.

I am trying to find out more about healing herbs. Herbalism is not too popular here in US, but many people in other countries use herbs as their primary source of healing.

anajz said...

Just found your blog through a link at wisdom of the Trowel. I was wondering if you frequent any of the flu boards, such as PFI or Fluwikie?

HausFrau said...

Anajz, no I haven't been over to any flu boards, maybe I will check them out! Thanks!