Thursday, June 19, 2008

Great pumpkin

So. Never having grown pumpkins before, I did not realize that they grew to be as big as Mount Rushmore. I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but the three pumpkins pictured here are taking up about 50 square feet of space. Luckily most of it was just wood mulch that wasn't productive anyway.





If I don't get a few pumpkins off this sucker, I may as well hang up my hat. Needless to say I will not be foliar feeding the pumpkin patch.









I got very adventurous at one point and made a variety salad. What was in it? Chard, salad burnet, sorrel, lamb's quarters, and nasturtium. Hey, is this lambs quarters? I hope so, because I ate some. It was pretty tasty sauteed.

I'm about to give up on spinach. Why bother when dandelions and lambs quarters are easier and just as nutritious? Just a thought. I will plant some spinach this fall, if it overwinters great, if not I won't be planting again in the spring.


I did harvest three small tomatoes this week, along with some cherry tomatoes that have been coming in for a little while. Isn't my colandar cute? I got it at a garage sale for 50 cents. Such a bargain. Also, this week, a beet, beet greens, some carrots, basil, parsley, and onion. Oh, and a baby zucchini. The banana, poblano, and jalapeno peppers are coming in too. But, the zukes, cukes, and buttercups are all still very tiny. What do I need to do to get them to grow their fruits bigger?


The sheet mulch and just plain mulch are working pretty well to suppress weeds. I do wander around the garden every other evening picking random weeds for about 5 minutes, and I had to seriously weed the lettuce/onion area after the greens bolted, but really not too bad, as far as weeding chores go.

PS. Cooked a peach cobbler and pita pizzas yesterday in the Sun Oven (s). Having two came in handy! Peach cobbler = yummy. Warning: Don't cook your pita pizzas longer than an hour. Otherwise they will get very, very dry. Still edible, and not burnt, but a lot like pizzas left out overnight :) instead of freshly baked.

5 comments:

Lewru said...

Woohoo!!! I can't believe you have tomatoes already! That's awesome. And I have no idea about the zukes and cukes. Mine are doing the same. Maybe it's just too early? Doubt it, but maybe. Maybe the rain? And yes, those are lamb's quarters. Nicely done!

Hausfrau said...

I really do dig the lambs quarters - just as good as spinach or lettuce IMHO.

Theresa said...

Hey, I'm glad to have found your blog! I saw your comment over at Sharon's site. You have all sorts of gardening info here - I've learned a whole bunch of news stuff already - thanks!

Hausfrau said...

Hi Theresa, thanks for visiting! We are in zone 7 here - hot and muggy all summer - but hopefully some of the same ideas will work for you up there in Canada.

Verde said...

OMG your season is so far ahead of ours.

Cute collendar - I just love yard sale finds like that.

Uhhh, doesn't look like lambs quarter that we have around here. Guess it's not poisen ivy ;-?