Thursday, June 5, 2008

Solar cooking class

I am really into this solar cooking thing. Yesterday I cooked Spinach Tofu enchiladas, the day before it was Apricot-Pecan bread. I am even disappointed when it is too cloudy out to cook outside in the solar oven (like today).

My gosh! I have to cook right before the meal, how inconvenient! I have to heat up the house when it's already 78 degrees in here, how awful! I have to increase my carbon footprint, what a bummer!

Anyway, I wanted to check out an idea I had: hosting a solar cooking "class" here at the ole' homestead in North OKC. Soon I will have two types of solar cookers (Global Sun Oven and Tulsi Sun Hybrid), so I could put them on display (if it's sunny we could cook something), along with the Cooking with Sunshine book, let people check the sun ovens out if they are thinking of buying one. Also offer some basic tips, talk about equipment and safety and cooking times, and give away some solar cooked Apricot-Pecan bread (quite tasty if I do say so myself).

The only small problem is that I don't have any of the home-made solar cookers. Maybe someone would volunteer to display theirs. Anyway, that's about as far as I've gotten. Do you think anyone on the ok-sus list would be interested?

4 comments:

Lewru said...

Funny you should mention that...I'm planning to build one this weekend!!! :)
We need recipes, lady! Spinach-tofu enchiladas! Apricot pecan bread! S'il vous plait!
And I would love to attend a class!

anajz said...

Oh, how I wish I lived closer...or better yet, oh how I wish fuel wasn't $4 a gallon....I would be there in a heartbeat! I have a few different solar cookers that I have constructed, some of which have not been very succesful. I am currently waiting for my sport solar oven, which is on backorder until mid-July, and also a parobolic cooker..which should be here within the next few days.
I hate to admit that I have had more failures than success, and have wasted more food than I care, but I would like to continue learning.
Maybe your class would coincide with one of our regular trips to Oklahoma....if I am lucky. :)

~anajz~

Hausfrau said...

I had a failure the other day with my Tulsa HSO, still learning on that one, not ideal conditions b/c started late in the day and positioned it incorrectly. It does take a little while to figure it out! But I have to admit, the Global Sun Oven was a no-brainer.

anajz said...

That makes me feel better about my purchase of the sport model. I can hardly wait for it to arrive.
I hope you do not mind, but I have added you to my blogroll.
Love your blog!
~anajz~