Thursday, July 17, 2008

I just love Sharon Astyk

Her latest post is Why You Should Think about Peak Oil even if it seems much Nicer Not to.

I like Sharon's work because she is so practical, she is walking the talk, and on days like this, she is not afraid to give it to us straight - but make us think about hard truths in a new way. A way that makes Peak Oil seem not so scary.

PLUS she has rediscovered and popularized so many old practices that we have really lost in the last 2 or 3 generations - ways to live without electricity and gas, ways to preserve the harvest without electricity, ways to do things on a budget, extending the garden season.

In honor of Sharon, here are some of my favorite posts of hers:

Low Energy Food Preservation

A Seed Savers Garden

Dispense with Disposables

What to do with Appliances when You get over them

3 comments:

Lewru said...

"I began to feel hopeful, even excited. Because I realized that when large institutions cease to be powerful, sometimes that means that people start being powerful again." - Sharon Astyk

THIS is exactly how I feel! This is why I don't feel overwhelmed or scared. This is great.

MeadowLark said...

I still feel moderately overwhelmed because I have to "do battle" with the fam over this issue.

Needless to say, the water storage plan is NOT moving along. :(

LisaZ said...

I love Sharon too! Maybe we should start a Sharon fan club. HeeHee!

Seriously, she is one of my favorite writers for the reasons you say. She's really inspiring a lot of us, eh?

Lisa