Sunday, August 17, 2008

Magical paste

My parents are coming to visit tomorrow. This means I needed to clean my tub, which hasn't been cleaned in an embarrassingly looooong time. Calling it dingy would be quite polite. I've been putting it off because I'm transitioning to non-toxic cleaning products. Oh yeah, and because I'd rather do just about anything else besides clean my tub.

So far, my cleaning transition includes: a vinegar spray and old newspaper to clean mirrors and windows, just plain Method dish soap and water to clean countertops, Method toilet cleaner (which actually smells good - weird) and Seventh Generation laundry detergent.

But I wasn't really sure if any old natural or home-made product was going to be up for THIS challenge. I had heard somewhere to make a paste of baking soda and vinegar. So I mixed up a small batch (about 1/8 cup) of the two ingredients in an old small glass jar, and applied the liquid paste to the tub tile grout with an old toothbrush.

Shiver me timbers!! The bizarre orange stuff in the tile grout magically disappeared. Instantly! It just washed away with a wet cloth rag. So I decided to go for it, and applied the velvety white magic paste to the ring around the tub with a brillo pad. More magic! Oh so clean. No scrubbing. No cursing. No toxic odors. No poisons washed down the drain.

I'm so giddy. That actually was easy. And now, 5 minutes later, I'm done - without breaking a sweat. I hope you will forgive me for grossing you out with the description of my "dingy" :) tub. If you'll excuse me, I need to go check my tub just to make sure it's as lovely and white as I remember it.

8 comments:

Verde said...

How funny! My newlywed agreement with hubby (20 years ago) was that he did bathrooms because I hate it so much.

So, I'll pass that tip on to him!

Lewru said...

Wow, that sounds too good to be true! I've tried baking soda before but maybe it's the combo? I've used that same combination to unclog mild drain clogs, too. I'll have to give it a go on the old soap scum. Eww!

anajz said...

That is exactly how I felt about my refrigerator. I've been stalling on cleaning it out for several days, but the other day I finally took after it with my vinegar and water. It shines! Every time I opened the door, I wa amazed and almost sad that I had procrastinated for as long as I did.

Tara said...

Oooh, I'm going to have to try that. I am SO with you on the tub cleaning. WORST. JOB. EVER.

Hausfrau said...

I hope it works for you the way it worked for me. I am using the leftover paste on my countertop tile grout this morning - it works pretty well but not as well as on the tub. Maybe the ratios are off now that it kind of dried out overnight?

Alison said...

Cleaning - not my favorite chore!

These days I seem to prefer laundry. It must be so, I wrote three blog posts about air drying laundry this week! I'm curious, do you air dry your laundry and if so, indoor or out and what do you hang it on?

Hausfrau said...

(Shamefaced) No, I don't air dry! I have bought both outdoor and indoor drying racks, but haven't installed the outdoor and don't use the indoor. Why? I know it's an excuse - the laundry I do from my home business (massage therapy) is huge, and the sheets need to be super soft for my clients. I try to make up for it with my Sun Oven. :(

Michelle Ellis said...

Isn't it amazing!!!

I'm always shocked when I find a new natural alternative that works not to mention one that works so well.(: