Thursday, December 18, 2008

Another option for shopping locally...

Still looking for beautiful, unique, local Christmas gifts? Check out Etsy.com for local crafters and artists. This site is a great place to purchase items made by small businesses in your area. There are some beautiful things on their website. I can hardly restrain myself!

Too bad I've already finished my Christmas shopping. Taking my own advice, I purchased six copies of Kathy Harrison's preparedness book Just In Case for friends and family. Don't worry, that's not the only thing they got!

I think used items are usually the most environmental choice. But sometimes, they just won't do, or you just can't find what you want! In that case, support your local businesses. And BTW, the Riot 4 Austerity does give credit for local and sustainably produced goods as 50% off the point value of consumer goods.

FYI, Homeschooler's Guide to the Galaxy also has an interesting story on Etsy today.

4 comments:

Rhea said...

A lot of artisans in my neighborhood of Boston are on Etsy. It's a great site.

Alison said...

Thanks for the link. Etsy is a lovely place to window shop even when you're not looking to buy :-)

Lewru said...

How are you doing on your Riot? I'd love to hear an update.

eatclosetohome said...

Have you seen this week's Minimum Security comic? Kranti's giving all her friends peak oil survival gear for the holidays. :)
http://comics.com/minimum_security/2008-12-17/