Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sweet dreams are made of this

As some of you know, I experience occasional or, let's-just-admit-it frequent, insomnia. There are multiple reasons people have insomnia, (although it seems to be a mystery to science) but one of the reasons I can't sleep through the night was because of my 10+ year old mattress and bedsprings.



Sleep is important to me. I enjoy my dream-time, and I have to admit I get more than a little snarky when I don't get my 8 hours. So last week I bought my first-ever mattress. We decided to go with a latex mattress, made here in Oklahoma City by the Oklahoma Mattress Co. Of course, the latex is imported, but it's supposed to be from a renewable resource (latex drawn from rubber trees). And when it arrived, I noticed it was covered in a bamboo-material exterior!



I had never heard of a latex mattress before. Apparently, latex is naturally antimicrobial and mildew and dust-mite resistant. The mattress I picked is 6 solid inches of firm latex (no springs) plus 2 inches of soft-top (memory foam). I laid down on it at the store for a few minutes and it felt very comfortable. It supported my spine but still relieved pressure points.



What really convinced me, though, was the assurance that these mattresses last a good 20 - 25 years. As a principle, I have been trying to either buy used goods or ones that are very durable. So I was happy to find a mattress that I won't have to flip, rotate or replace for the next 20 years, at least. If I can't have electricity or avocados when SHTF, at least I can have a good night's sleep ;).

The price was more than I wanted to pay. However, I apparently had a misconception about what mattresses cost. We visited a big-box store to get a comparison, and the sets there were at a minimum, $500 more than the locally-made, environmentally-friendly, 20-year-lasting latex mattress, and generally the name-brand ones seemed to cost $1000 more. And when we amortize out the cost of the mattress over 20 years, it came out to about $55 per year. Our choice was pretty easy. Oklahoma Mattess Co. delivered it last week, and as a bonus, the delivery person told me that they donate the used mattresses that they pick up to churches and other emergency shelter places. Yay, reduced landfill waste!



I have been sleeping on my new mattress for the last six days, and I believe it is helping with my insomnia. I used to wake up at night, back or hips aching, not able to get comfortable, and not be able to fall back asleep for hours. Since I have been sleeping on this mattress, I have not had that problem. I did have one night of insomnia, but that's not because I was uncomfortable. It was because I can't manage to turn off my brain.



Mattresses are a very individual preference. Not everyone is going to like a latex mattress. And, of course, if you don't want to buy something made of imported latex, a latex mattress is not a good choice for you. But if you are having back or hip pain or arm/hand numbness and tingling, you might consider looking into a new mattress - and I think latex mattresses are a pretty good choice. 'Course, that's just my 2 cents.

5 comments:

Compost John said...

We recently bought a new mattress as I was waking up with backache.
My backache has gone!
I like the sound of a latex mattress... when completely done with, it could be composted!
I've composted hot water bottles and of course rubber bands and burst balloons... but a mattress, that would be a challenge!

straker said...

You mean the insomnia is just because you're uncomfortable? Not because of doom like mine is?

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

Straker - Partly because of whatever I am stressed about. Sometimes it's doom. But the uncomfortable part also contributes. :)

Compost John - In 35 years we may be slicing up the mattress and using it for paths in the garden.

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

Straker - Partly because of whatever I am stressed about. Sometimes it's doom. But the uncomfortable part also contributes. :)

Compost John - In 35 years we may be slicing up the mattress and using it for paths in the garden.

nomad496 said...

Thanks very much for the info on a latex mattress. I am in the market for one to replace my 28 year old mattress. I have been having the same problems with sleeping that you had. After a day clearing brush on our place, I need the sleep.