What to do for fun when driving and / or electricity become expensive or intermittently available? It may seem like a silly question - I mean, aren't we all just going to be hanging on for dear life? But if you've ever been through a long blackout, you'll know that boredom can set in pretty quick, unless you are already used to entertaining yourself without the benefit of a computer, Internet, television, movies, shopping, going somewhere in a car, or video games.
Sure, maybe farming, cooking and mending will take up all our time, along with washing dishes and clothes by hand ;). But during those slow times.... what then? Here's a few ideas to pass the time:
20. Sing your favorite songs - show tunes, Christmas carols or drinking songs.
19. Play poker / spades /hearts / Texas hold'em with friends.
18. Read books from the library or purchased from garage sales / thrift stores.
17. Play piano, guitar, drums, or your favorite instrument.
16. Practice yoga or tai-chi.
15. Go on walks or nature hikes.
14. Work cross-word puzzles / Sudoku.
13. Play board games like chess, checkers, Monopoly, Taboo, or Catchphrase.
12. Play solitaire.
11. Toss a baseball/football/basketball around.
10. Play hackey-sack.
9. Bike around town.
8. Read or tell stories to your children.
7. Work jigsaw puzzles.
6. Putter in the garden / peruse gardening catalogs.
5. Crafting / knitting / carving from reclaimed materials.
4. Write songs or poetry.
3. Sex. (I hear you can even do this one in the dark!)
2. Trade massages / foot rubs.
1. Conversations and potlucks with friends, family and neighbors.
And there are so many more! Your favorite way to spend time without gasoline or electricity?