Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tidbits

I saw the first person (besides myself) using a cloth grocery bag in OKC at Buy For Less on Saturday. Not as impressive as the Farmer's Market, where cloth bags are de rigeur. Still, it gives me hope for Oklahoma.
...

The OSU-OKC Farmer's Market still has tons of fresh produce! Pak choy, sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, green beans, okra. Kind of a reflection of my own garden - a bit of this, a bit of that. The old still producing (tomatoes and okra) and the new growing (pak choy, mustard greens, kale, onions).
...

Getting ready for more Transition Town work. I'm presenting to the Sierra Club on Thursday, and our big initiative (Transition Neighborhoods) will open with a bang! on Nov. 7th as we party down with the neighborhood leaders and invite them to join the Transition movement.

...

Read Richard Heinberg's Blackout last week. Essentially, he explains that coal reserves are not nearly as extensive as we believe, and that coal will be peaking - most likely in 2025 - 2035. He reviews five recently published studies of coal reserves, and analyzes that peak oil in the 2010 - 2020 timeframe will spur countries to attempt coal-to-liquids.

2025 sounds like a long way away.... until I think that my son will still be under 20 at that point, and will have his whole life ahead of him. The subtitle of the book is "The Last Energy Crisis," and I agree. If we haven't found a way to transition by then, with conservation, curtailment, system redesign, relocalization, and alternative energy, then.... fill in the blank.


...


Bottled our first pumpkin brew Sunday. 54 bottles of MMMMM. Can't wait!


....


Read Nick Reding's Methland yesterday. Add meth to the list of agribusiness sins; joining the consolidation of farms, ruthless cruelty to animals, persecution of independent farmers, pollution of water, overproduction of food packaging, obesity and all the health problems that go along with it. Mr. Reding traces the roots of the meth scourge and destruction of much of Midwest small town life to the consolidation of all our farms and ranches into a few vertically integrated, cost externalizing machines we call Cargill, IBP, ConAgra, Monsanto.



The things that meth addicts do to themselves, their kids, and the environment is downright scary. The thought of not being able to produce dopamine - to not be able to enjoy a meal, or a drink, or spending time with my family, or reading a book - without meth, is incredibly saddening.


...


Soup season is here. Chilis and chowders and stews, oh my! My favorite: one pot dishes. Easy to make, easy to clean up, easy to stick to whole and hopefully local ingredients - potatoes and vegetables and beans. I love fall!

Although I haven't been doing spectacularly on my Riot for Austerity this year, I have been buying $10 - 20 worth of goods from the Farmer's Market every week on top of my the produce I get from my own garden. So that's something.

No comments: