Thursday, April 29, 2010

Beauty of homesteading

This is the year that I realize how much work an urban homestead will take. When I first planned out our little quarter? sixth? of an acre, I just wanted to pack as much productivity into the area as possible. You know, so we could have food after the financial/economic/peak oil Greater Depression :). I didn't give too much thought to how much work it would be.

Planting, thinning, watering, and landscaping have been consuming most of my free time in the past weeks. And when the persimmon, cherry, kiwi, and pears finally grow up enough to fruit, it will take even more. But right now I don't care because it is so lovely to be outside in the fresh air, sunshine, flowers, and lots and lots of green, with birds swooping by my head and squirrels racing around chasing each other. Beats sitting at a desk.

Our semi-urban, semi-suburban property is starting to look like a homestead, and this time of year, it's beautiful. Our perennial herbs have popped up - thyme, lemon balm, mint, chocolate mint, rosemary, purple sage, and oregano - and our back "lawn" is covered in white clover.


The fruit trees and vines have baby fruits dangling and shaking in the breeze - peaches, apples, plums, and grapes. Apparently the self-fertile plum really is self-fertile! It just took four years to find out. Our miniature woodpile is surrounded by blossoming irises and thornless blackberries (Apache, Arapaho, Navajo), which are so pretty I may plant more in our front yard.


And finally, I love our new front-yard edible landscape, which we Permablitzed last weekend with the help of twelve fabulous volunteers. In time, that will yield us cherries, Granny Smith apples, Nikita's Gift persimmons, Desert King watermelons, and Black Futsu squash, along with more mint, oregano, purple sage, thyme, and daylilies, which I've been told taste like cantalope. Who knew a little hell-strip had so much potential?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Your yard looks beautiful and I am so jealous! I can't wait to get moved and get started our own projects. Keep up the good work!

Sharlene T. said...

It's hard rebuilding a large yard into the final dream. Mine is a 15-year long-term plan and I'm just into year 4! But, little by little, I can see changes and new crops arriving as the mini-orchard grows up. Now, if only I can live so long...

eatclosetohome said...

I am totally in love with the idea that your strip received runoff from the roof - watering all those plants, and keeping most of the water out of the storm drains!