Wednesday, April 21, 2010

This is your brain on insomnia

One problem I have with traditional economics is that it makes numerous incorrect assumptions in order to facilitate the creation of the economic models. For instance, traditional economists usually assume that people are rational. Indeed.

Earlier today......

Brain: That looks like a fudge truffle.

Me: Yes, that fudge truffle is a present for your mother-in-law.

Brain: It looks tasty. Real tasty.

Me: Let's have an apple. How about some hummus?

Brain: I think I'll have that fudge truffle.

Me: That very large truffle has approximately 900 calories. It is not on your Paleolithic whole-foods diet. It is not on your Okinawa diet. It is not on your High-School Reunion diet. It is not on any diet at all!

Brain: (forcing hand to reach towards chocolate)

Me: Noooooooo!

Earlier tonight.....

2:17 a.m. Click.

Brain: PERMABLITZ IS SATURDAY! PERMABLITZ IS SATURDAY!

Me: (Sleepily) What the %$#? Go back to sleep. There's nothing we need to do right now. It's the middle of the night.

Brain: So much to do! So little time! So much to do! So little time!

Me: Go back to sleep. We can deal with everything in the morning. There's really not that much left to do anyway.

Brain: But what if it rains? Then everything is ruined! Then we have to put it off for another week!

Me: Shhhhhh. It's all under control. We talked to Randy about the plan. The landscaping materials are all ordered. We got the plants. We e-mailed our workshop confirmations yesterday. We e-mailed out the rain date. There's nothing we can do about the weather.

Brain: When are we going to get the big rocks? What if that doesn't work to hold in the mulch? What if it looks funny? Maybe we should have gotten an apricot tree instead of the Granny Smith apple. Maybe we should have gotten another cherry tree instead of the apple. We already have two apple trees you know. We could still go down to Marcum's nursery before Saturday.

Me: Granny Smith apples stay good forever and don't have to be processed. And they are tart, good for pies and salads. Oh crap, I'm arguing with my brain. Ommmmmmmmmmm. Ommmmmmmm.

Brain: When are you going to work on the permaculture handouts? When are you going to make those copies? Maybe we still have time to get a videographer? Who's going to record this for posterity?

Me: I told you, it's under control! It's all on the to-do list! This workshop is not a big deal - just chill out and relax! CRAP. I'm arguing with my brain again. Inhale... 1, 2, 3. Exhale.... 1, 2, 3. Inhale... 1, 2, 3. Exhale.... 1, 2, 3.

Brain: Don't ignore me! Get up, get up! Get to work!

Me: If I don't go to sleep now I'm going to be useless tomorrow. Is that what you want?

Brain: So much to do! So little time!

Me: I'm going to get up now. But don't think I'm going to work on the Permablitz! I'm going to write on my blog and drink a cup of chamomile tea with valerian and then do yoga! SO THERE!

Brain: :)

***************

Does that sound rational to you? I rest my case.

3 comments:

knutty knitter said...

And I did wonder who Brian was.....I think I need a break too :)

viv in nz

ps We have a granny smith planned here too.

Sharlene T. said...

Okay. What's scary is that you REMEMBERED all of that! You need some good old Native American Sleeping Tea! Get some and keep it handy. Stop worrying. Everything will do fine and you will do a great job -- if you get some sleep...

Sylvia said...

I think our brains are related. ;) otoh, you're doing a great job observing your mind doing it's monkey-dance, so hey, you're almost meditating already (according to the way I learned it, zen). Now, to let it all go, let it go... and let it go some more. Just keep breathing! :)