Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dreamweaver

A hard rain began to fall in the middle of last night.


I had been having a fairly unremarkable dream about touring a McMansion with a ridiculously large number of rooms, which recently had been redecorated. I couldn't believe it had a music room, and a play room, and a gymnastics room, all for the children.



When it begins to rain, I look out the window. I have a huge picture window that allows me a clear view up the very steep hill that we live on, and I can see that the house a few hundred feet above me on the hill is in poor repair. With all the storms we've been having, and the hail, there are large holes in the roof. I wonder why they have not yet been patched, or at least covered with a tarp. It looks dangerous to live there. The storm is breaking over us, the rain coming in violent waves. Aren't they getting wet in the rain?



Just then a ferocious crack of thunder makes a section of the roof cave in, and part of the walls begin to fall. A brick breaks away, slowly tumbling down the hill and narrowly missing my house. Oh, God! I wonder if they are OK up there.



I wonder if I should run up there and help my neighbors, and if so, what I can do. As I'm staring up the hill, with a phone in my hand, considering dialing 911, I can see a girl trying to climb out of the house, where dust is still rising from the rubble of the partial collapse of the roof and the wall. Bits of the house are still rolling away from the wreckage.



The girl manages to get up on top of the rubble, when suddenly she slips and falls. She starts to tumble. She hits a jagged rock and careens downhill. I stare, frozen, as her body crashes toward me. She lands directly outside my window, her bloodied head facing my way, her eyes open. I can see that she is barely a teenager. She's dead.


At that point, I realize this: when that disintegrating mansion falls, it will slide down the hill and completely obliterate my own house.


I wake up crying.

8 comments:

Sharlene T. said...

Scary... have you analyzed it to see what you subconscious is trying to tell you?... hope you had a great breakfast and cuppa to dispel it from your mind so you can enjoy your Sunday... come visit when you can...

Twitter: SolarChief

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

It's completely obvious to me - but I'm letting everyone draw their own conclusions.

knutty knitter said...

I think your subconscious is trying to tell you something here....or perhaps you should lay off whatever it was you had for supper :)

viv in nz

ps That was a very understandable dream - most of mine are just ridiculous :)

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

viv - I have been writing down my dreams since I was young - many are absurd, only a few are worth remembering years later. This is one I will remember for awhile. Even nightmares are valuable; in fact they are usually more valuable to me than pleasant dreams.

Wendy said...

I've had similar dreams over the past several years. It's that consciousness about where our world is headed that drives me into nightmares, and I wake up terrified, but at the same time with a renewed resolve to make one more positive change for my family or my community.

The mansion may damage my house when it falls, but I can do something to mitigate the destruction. Like, I can start building a berm to hold back the debris, at very least. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say, and while I know that I can't stop the destruction, I can minimize the effects on my family.

Shamba said...

I'd say that such a dream was just a sign of your own anxieties but that's what my dreams usually are to me.

I don't get "messages" or premonitions in my dreasm, I get those in other ways.

but if you have been writing down dreams most of your life, your dreams have more meaning to you than just your brain expressing fears. Sound like you get messages from them but it doesn't mean that they will literally happen.

peace to you and all,
shamba

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

Shamba - One function of a dream is for it to force me to pay attention to fears that I am not willing to face during my waking hours.

Fear, although it gets a bad rap, is a very evolutionary advantageous emotion. But it's only when it motivates change that it works.

Anonymous said...

Christine, your nightmare reflects many transitionists fears, I think. If our neighbors are unprepared, of course we and our families are at greater risk.

The challenge for me is how to strengthen my own house while encouraging my neighbor to do the same to his (Literally. There's a modest uphill at the edge of our property. The two closest houses behind ours are oblivious to the danger of their crumbling bank fortifications, despite our gentle attempts to bring it to their attention. When those banks give, we'll have a pool and a couple of garages at our back door.)
Your subconscious' work resonated with me. Thanks for sharing it.