Saturday, July 31, 2010

Easing the pain



Food processing season is upon us. Lately, I've been making pesto, dehydrating and freezing peaches, and freezing chopped okra. Yesterday I attempted sun-dried tomatoes in the Tulsi Sun Oven and baked banana bread in the Global Sun Oven. The sun-dried tomatoes didn't dry quite evenly, so I popped them in the Sun-Oven-cooked ratatouille for dinner (delicious). Those Sun Ovens came through for me yesterday!




But getting to my point: I don't necessarily like spending hours in the kitchen chopping and processing food by myself. I'd much rather be reading a book or taking a walk or cruising the Internet. Luckily, I've discovered a solution that makes food preservation much easier, virtually painless, almost....enjoyable?


It's simple. My solution is: listening to Peak Moment Television while I work. I like to hear about positive actions that people all over the country and world are implementing: permaculture, urban homesteading, and building community, and I enjoy listening to interviews with our beloved peak oil authors and activists. Time, which might otherwise crawl or limp, just flies by. And I feel rather virtuous for accomplishing something rather than just sitting in front of the computer. So go on - get started on that applesauce, tomato canning, or pesto! Peak Moment TV is standing by to keep you entertained during your labors.

5 comments:

Sharlene T. said...

One always forgets just how much focused time goes into putting up food (and how quickly folks disappear!)... great suggestion for whiling away the time... I like to practice my presentations... and I suck at it...

Twitter: SolarChief

Meadowlark said...

Just touching base. It's been ages. Never seen the site you suggested, so will go check it out.

Peace to you my friend.

Betsy said...

I found my Sun Oven a great way to process tomatoes. Put a batch in unpeeled, even cherrys. Cook them for 2-3 hours to draw out some water; pour off water and save for soups. Puree them in the blender (I used a VitaMix) and then put them out in the Sun Oven again, this time with the glass top propped open a bit. After about 4-5 hours you have tomato sauce with no slaving over a hot stove.

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

Betsy - great tip, thanks!!

Meadowlark - Hi there - hope you are doing well!

Shamba said...

I haven't tried dehydrating fruits this year but dried peaches, apricots sound really lovely.

thanks for the recipe, Betsy. I'll have to try that with my solar ovens.

peace to all,
Shamba